









G’Day Mates!
We started another beautiful and sunny day in Sydney with a great Catechesis session, hosted by Archbishop Daniel Bohen, from Canada. And music played by Sarah Bauer, who entertained our pilgrims, playing the piano and singing, praise and worship songs. Our Pilgrims, as usual, enjoyed the youthful sound and you could see them captivated by what was going on around them.
And then our much anticipated event of the week, the arrival of Pope Benedict! Our Holy Father took a cruise through the Sydney Harbor and was welcomed at Barangaroo by hundreds of thousands of people! Some of our Pilgrims stood around the city to wait for him to drive through in his Pope Mobile, others stood across from the Sydney Harbor Bridge and awaited his arrival from there and others, stood waiting anxiously at the event site. Much of the day was used waiting and holding spots for a good photo op. I think many of our pilgrims were very close and I myself was only about 10 feet away from his departure drive. It was a very moving moment for all the pilgrims. And the crowd was full of many different ages, young and elder.
After the Holy Father’s prayer service, WYD events began, and our pilgrims took the time to visit St. Mary’s Cathedral, and making their way to visit the World Youth Day Cross and Icon which have traveled around the world before arriving in Sydney.
Tomorrow we look forward to our very own Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades hosting our catechetical session, and then the Stations of the Cross around downtown Sydney!
As promised from Tuesday’s blog, I have found a pilgrim to share the pictures of Bondi Beach, our very own Seminarian, Bruno! Thanks! He has also generously shared the video of Pope Benedict’s drive through the city.
We look forward to another full day tomorrow! We are praying for all of you at home and keep you close to our hearts!
Good Night from Australia!
7 comments:
I hope you all are having a wonderful experience. Soak up all of this holiness and enthusiasim. This is a once in a lifetime experience that you will always treasure. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!
Julie Rudy and Family, Lititz, PA
Hi all --
What great pictures and what excitement you all must be feeling at WYD in Sydney. It is always such a moving experience to be so close to the Holy Father and it comes through on this blog. Enjoy this wonderful event -- I hope you will bring your enthusiasm back with you to the diocese (and Holy Infant Parish). Don't forget to bring our bishop back with you too!
Fr. Ed Malesic
Hello, my fellow youth from the Diocese of Harrisburg. I hope you had fun today. It's on EWTN right now. I tuned in to see the Pope greet the pilgrims. It brought tears to my eyes.
Let the Holy Spirit come into your hearts and let it guard you.
Please, if you guys remember, could you mention it on Palm Sunday Mass? I know that's more than six months away, but I'm sure everyone would like to hear about it.
Michael & All,
Oh my goodness - how exciting to be so near our Holy Father! I can't even imagine the joy you all feel in your hearts. How do you all sleep with all the anticipation of the beautiful things that come to you each and every day! We continue to pray for you - please be safe. Michael, we love you, keep your heart open to the experiences. Miss you and can't wait to share everything with you when you come home.
Peace & Love,
Michelle & Jim
Hi Jake and WYD Pilgrims,
What an AWESOME sight! The Pope arriving by boat, I can only imagine how you all were feeling at that moment. The pictures are great, Emily, you must have been right on the curb, you can see His Holiness in such detail. Keep up the good work.
I am very impressed by the crowds that you are in too. There seem to be people everywhere and anywhere. How hard is it to get around?
Bondi Beach - How was the water Jake? Dad said you probably would have gone under if you didn’t have your camera around your neck. We hope you dried off quickly. Sounds like you are having fun.
Well you are more than half way through this amazing trip and the pictures and the blog has helped us with you being away. We sure do miss you, but on every picture of you we see you look like you are having such a good time we are thankful that we were able to give you this great experience. Enjoy every minute. And we can’t wait to see you again.
We are looking for you all on EWTN.
Love Mom & Dad (Karen & Phil)
Hello, All!
I enjoy reading the blog and learning of your daily activities. The photos are great!
I wish you many more beautiful and sacred experiences throughout your trip. Think of the memories being created!
A special hello goes out to the bishop and John from their cousins in Camp Hill.
Mary
Hi Michael H.
Hope you are having fun, tell the Pope i said hi!
Love,
Uncle Mike, Aunt Julie, Shaun.
Post a Comment